Tuesday, June 19, 2007

following the unknown identity...











It was evening when I chose to complete this following assignment, so I brought my friend Chris along to act as my body guard in case anything dramatic were to happen. I was headed in the direction of the market as if I were heading to school when I saw my lucky target. This gentleman was walking down the street towards me from the Cipro metro stop in a very nonchalant manner. Since he didn’t seem to be in any particular hurry I chose him because I figured I could easily follow his pace for awhile and gain lots of footage of him. I have to be honest though, I feel extremely awkward doing this. Every move he made I stopped dead in my tracks for fear that he would turn around or see the flash of the camera since it was dark outside. Around the market I was able to get relatively close to my target by dodging behind the stands. As luck would have it, as I was crossing the street after the market (street leading to the Vatican), I got caught in action because he suddenly took a sudden turn to the left to cross to the other side of the street. At that point, I felt I had to explain myself, so I wouldn’t come across as some creepy stalker. Much to my surprise he was very approachable (he introduced himself immediately stating that his name was Josh) and actually quite interested in what I was doing. So I decided to do a mini photo shoot of him (I thought since I had already humiliated myself, what more damage could possibly hurt). He willingly smiled for the camera a few times. All in all, I would say I followed Josh for about ten-fifteen minutes before I was caught. This assignment was interesting because he encouraged me to be more daring…and to willingly let go of my conscious self (if only for a moment), which often talks to me telling me what I’m doing right and wrong. Why should I always be consumed with the thought of what other people may think of me?

No comments: