Sunday, June 10, 2007

Heterotopias

I find heterotopias to be quite interesting to think about...I never really knew what it meant until our discussion in class. It's interesting how the mirror used to depict a heterotopia serves two functions. It is an example of a utopia because it depicts a placeless place...you see yourself there where you are not. At the same time, a mirror is also a heterotopia because it does exist in reality and it makes the place I occupy at the moment real.



Here we have a mirrored image of myself taken by a row of bikes in Barcelona. I’m a big fan of traveling by foot and bike over public transportation because its better for you and the environment. In Barcelona biking is common…there’s a bike path on every main street and bike rental shops all over the city.



Here we have a mirror image of myself, which I captured outside of an office building as we walked along the main strip of Barcelona where an array of shops, restaurants and other attractions can be found. The palm trees help to capture the essence of beauty for me.








No comments: