Monday, June 25, 2007

Final Project...."Race" scavenger/obstacle course

Purpose/ Goal of this obstacle/ scavenger course

~I needed to create a synthesis between my own autobiography and our chosen location, Trastevere.

~The word “Race” takes on a double meaning in my life- both the race against time because running is a huge component of my life and race as it refers to identity because I come from a mixed background. Since I come from a biracial background learning where I fit in and how to perceive myself in the world has been a challenge all my life. This struggle with my identity also brings about two meanings for race as it refers to time. Running for pleasure is free for me because I have no boundaries- the world is essentially limitless at this moment. But as I race against time in trying to compile all I want to achieve in one day, I am burdened by obstructions (i.e. not knowing my way, getting lost, or lack of space from those around me), which inhibit my progression.

~Thus to incorporate these meanings behind “race” (as it relates to my own personal life) with the area of Trastevere, I decided to create an obstacle course. Here you are racing against time because the clock never stops running until you have completed the route challenging you to utilize speed. The objective is to finish in the shortest amount of time. Likewise, you are racing against the negotiation between oneself and this idea of space within a place (learning to fit in/ adapt to your surroundings by overcoming barriers/obstacles that stand in your way). Thus, you end up with a dual identity- who you know yourself to be (physicality) and how you have learned to position yourself within a space.

Rules of the Game!

You and your partner may aid eachother in anyway.
You may gain assistance from any UNKNOWN pedestrian.
Cheating/lying are prohibited
If you cannot complete any part of the course you must return back to wehre you started at which point you have failed your mission.
The clock never stops running until you finish the course.
You may utilize any materials that you have with you, except your cell phone (unless you get really lost).
You are not racing against the other pairs. You are trying to get your time to be as close to my listed time as possible. Whoever has the closest overall time to the time I recorded wins.


* The actual routes of my scavenger hunt are not posted here because I could not upload, but I do have hardcopies. If you would like to take a look email me and I can send you a copy. n.mckenzie@temple.edu.

No comments: