Thursday, June 7, 2007

I rarely carry a map with me....

I find that most maps are overwhelming and confusing...hence completely useless to me. The print is often times very fine so I end up skimming over the map fifteen times just to find where I'm presently standing and where my destination is located...Then I spend more time trying to find the best travel route to get from my starting point to my end point. This all seems pointless to me when instead I can simply ask someone for directions. It also gives me an opportunity to practice my Italian speaking skills. My other option is to rely on landmarks because they are easily identified without starring at a tiny sheet of paper. When I first arrived here in Roma I was very apprehensive at the thought of traveling anywhere alone because I'm not good at navigating especially in an unfamiliar city. But I'm finding that as I discover the landmarks within my proximity I am more open to meandering out on my own. In fact, just yesterday I ran for the first time by myself along the Vatican and up the Tiber River. Yet whenever in doubt...I simply ask for directions. Why waste time starring at a map?

No comments: