Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Transitions from private to public realms and viceversa...











It's interesting to see how easily our private lives have been invaded by society when we are least aware of it because of how quickly we tune everything out around us. The two men talking on the phone both in the car and at the phone booth did not take notice to my presence because they were too wrapped up in conversation, however, I still felt guilty for essentially eavesdropping on their personal lives. I felt sort of uneasy knowing that these two men have no idea that they were ever photographed by me because it makes me wonder how often people are watching my every move. I remember one time I was sitting in a restaurant with a girlfriend of mine watching a woman try to parallel park her car while in the process hitting both cars parked in front and in back of her. We chuckled to ourselves...because somehow it made it all the more funny knowing that the woman in the car didn't know that we saw how terrible of a driver she was. Same case scenerio occurs all the time. It's a very scary thought. The image of the mirror was interesting to me because I personally am affected by it. The security guards have the ability to watch my every move from the moment I enter and leave the residence with the reflections of this mirror. However, when I'm in the comfort of my own home I don't ever have to worry about whether I stumble up my driveway or something else that is embarassing because there's no camera or mirror capturing my every move. On the reverse end of things, the park benches show how what was once public is now private. Now I presume that only certain people, perhaps those living in or visiting the establishment built here. I never saw a park bench enclosed...usually they are meant strictly for public purposes. I'm accustomed to seeing finer furnishings within an enclosement.

No comments: