Sunday, June 10, 2007

My indepth critique of Trastevere





























Images of the area of Trastevere called Piazza Trilussa...First image is pretty self-explanatory...I just wanted to get a feel for the surrounding buildings. The second image is graffiti that I found on the side of a building...thought it was interesting because it seems to tell a story. A man appears to be sitting on a swing. On the next row I took a photo of the menu at the restaurant I was sitting at, "Friends and Company." The area I was in as I mentioned before was called Piazza Trilussa. This Yorkshire terrier was sitting so contently inside a nearby shoe store. He reminds me of my dog, Sparky, at home because I too have a Yorkshire terrier. It made me miss him. I saw this woman sitting in a store painting on a canvas and I decided to photograph her because I love her artwork that she has on display in the store windows. The image below is interesting because I was able to capture a heterotopia of the alleyway behind me by photographing the colorful table inside the restaurant I sat at so it looks like both images of the strada and the table are meshed into one.
It's 3:30pm and I'm sitting at a table outside of a restaurant called "Friends and Company," which is located in Piazza Trilussa. Try to close your eyes and imagine yourself here as I depict the surroundings to you...It must be garbage collection day because I hear the banging noise of the dump truck around the corner and see a man carrying two trash bags in either hand down the street to the left of me. A woman walks by with her baby stroller. I hear the sound of birds chirping/wind blowing/ and women laughing within close proximity. A little bird scurries past my feet. A blue car parked on my left hand side pulls away now. Two women have just walked by with bags in their hand, maybe they have just gone shopping. I hear the sound of a woman's boots tapping against the cobblestone as she walks. I notice a business man standing in the doorway of the restaurant I'm sitting outside of- He pulls out a cigarette and begins to smoke it while starring at his cell phone. I can't make out his face because he's wearing sunglasses. There is a woman eating gelato..It's making me crave some right now. I smell the scent of garbage now and its making me feel a bit queasy. In the window of the restaurant I'm sitting at I see brightly colored cars- red and blue. A man just walked by and I can hear the raddling from his keys in his pocket. A dog on a leash just walked by with his owner I presume, an older gray-haired man. The same bird that I saw before just walked by my feet again. A guy is peddling by on his bike. I see a woman with very long red dreads in her hair. A server just came out to greet me and I ordered a cappuccino. An older woman has passed by with a cane in her hand. I just noticed the woman who served me has two tattoos...one on her arm and the other one on her back I can only see part of because the rest is covered by her shirt. She wears a red clip in the front of her hair I'm guessing to keep her bangs out of her face. I hear an ambulance in the distance...it's coming closer now. A woman smiles to herself while talking on the phone...she must be happy about something. A gust of wind just blew and the empty sugar packets from my cappuccino just blew off the table. A man shuffles his feet against the ground as he walks. A woman on a bike has her purse sitting in the basket attached to the front of the bike. Many vespas just drove by right in a row...maybe they are following each other. People are beginning to sit inside the restaurant I am at...I can see them through the glass window. A convertible just pulled up beside me on the left and the driver, who happens to be a man, is putting up the roof. I hear the lyrics from a song playing on his stereo..."Take a look at my girlfriend, she's the only one I got..." I'm laughing because he's trying to figure out how to operate the automatic lock to unlock his trunk. I notice a gold chain dangling from his neck with a cross on it...it appears to be heavy. I can see a woman's white bra showing through her brown shirt. A man sitting inside the restaurant is stroking his hair. I just had to switch pens because the one I was using is dying. A man inside the restaurant is bent over cleaning his shoe. The sun is beating down on my shoulder. On the building directly to my left I noticed that on one of the windows the shutters are open and on the other the shutters are closed. A girl inside the restaurant is brushing crumbs off her lap and a man sitting at a table across from her is sipping his drink from a straw. A pregnant woman walks by- she's very thin minus her belly...it appears as if she's very far along in her pregnancy, maybe in her eighth month. I see an unlit cigarette lying on the ground, but I think it may have a crack in it. A woman is walking by with a banquet of flowers in her hand. A woman is now riding by on her bike with a very large brim on her hat. It's very warm now because the wind has stopped. I taste the sugar from my cappuccino on my tongue. A bee is buzzing by the window of the restaurant. I'm laughing because a man just walked by me with his pants belted and pulled up really high above where his waist is. A woman sitting in the restaurant I'm at is pulling on her lip. A man inside the restaurant now waves to a guy walking by outside..they must recognize one another. I just realized there's no graffiti on the wall of this restaurant, but it appears to be on every other building around me....hmm I wonder why this is. A Winnie the Poo character is hanging from the rear-view mirror in a car that just drove by. Tourists just walked by...I can tell by the way they're dressed and they look a bit disoriented...It looks like a mother and daughter. I smell the scent of Indian food from a restaurant up the street, which I passed walking here. The wind blows again. An American couple is sitting at the table next to me speaking English. A woman just walked out on her balcony up above one of the buildings to water her flowers. She quickly goes back inside afterwards and closes the door...disappearing from my view. I hear a man whistling now. I smell bread baking in the oven...it smells very good...kind of a sweet smell. The 125 bus just drove by...I forgot to mention it drove by before, like 20-30 minutes ago. Now there is a new couple sitting at the table next to me...they are speaking Italian. A yellow sheet of paper is lying in the street. I'm not sure where it came from because I didn't see it there when I first arrived here. I'm noticing that on the back of on the pockets on this man's jeans there is a black mark- but I can't make out what it is because he's too far away....perhaps it's a patch of some sort. A woman and her daughter just walked by hand-in-hand. It's a bit chilly now...I think it may rain. It's now 6:30pm.

No comments: